Museum of Curiosities


I recently visited that absolutely incredible pop up gallery Museum of Curiosities. It occupies a few little rooms hidden away in Soho and good god I loved it. I even went back for a second look, not so sure if the friend who accompanied me the second time enjoyed it as much as I did haha! It definitely made for a strange experience but that of course made me like it more.(A few of these pictures are from my phone from my first visit as I actually forgot to take pictures of certain things when I went back with my proper camera so I apologise for any graininess.)


You can just about make out the tiny skeleton clinging onto the moth.









This reminds me of Neutral Milk Hotel for some reason.





On my first visit to the museum I went with my dear friend Charlotte who pointed out this skeleton that we think is a cat skeleton. It led her to tell me about her pet cat that had died and how they dealt with its body and we ended up swapping stories about our pets that we had lost. In that moment it was almost like a lot more meaning was placed on the bones around us. It was like displaying bones and stuffed animals was for more than just a fun curiosity but it was a way of remembering those animals that had died and showing our respect for them after death and our continuing love for them. It made me think rather more deeply about my collecting and the reasons behind why I do it.   


Amazing work by the world famous Swoon.

There was a room downstairs with the door open but no lights on so we weren't sure if we were allowed inside. It looked like a store room. We were curious so I turned my flash on and took a picture inside the dark room an low an behold, a unicorn!
I can't recommend the Museum of Curiosities enough but hurry, it closes at Christmas! 

Comments

Popular Posts